Tuesday, July 5, 2011

My Breast Feeding Failure by Lindsay

My Breast Feeding Failure


Baby #1: I was only 17 when my first daughter was born and breast feeding wasn't even an option for me back then. I was young and the whole breastfeeding thing grossed me out. Please keep in mind that I was only 17, a baby myself, that was ignorant to the benefits to both my baby and myself. So what are those benefits exactly? Well according to Medela there are many benefits for both mom and baby. Besides the many wonderful health benefits breast feeding brings, really there is a HUGE list that could be a post in itself, some of the important things that I missed out on is:

(borrowed from Medela)

The skin-to-skin contact encouraged by breastfeeding offers babies greater emotional security and enhances bonding.

Breast Feeding is the most natural and cheapest way to feed baby.

From 3 months to 12 months postpartum, breastfeeding increases the rate of weight loss in most nursing mothers.

Big fail on my part that I did not even consider giving my 1st born the best start at life.

Baby #2: I was older this time, in my late 20's, and wanted to breast feed my baby. From the moment was born she latched on and was a great feeder, but I was not producing any milk. After trying to feed her and pump for the two days that I was in the hospital, with no success, I couldn't stand the thought that my daughter had not eaten at all the first two days of her life and caved in a gave her formula. After that I pumped and still nothing :( I did not have the support of the hospital and was not informed by anyone that there was a medication that could help with milk production, therefore I gave up.

Yet again I failed. But there is something good that came from me not breast feeding my youngest daughter and that is my 3rd child! I found out that I was pregnant with my 3rd when Sena was only 5 months. We were not trying, nor were we preventing, but boy was that a surprise that most likely wouldn't have been possible if I were breast feeding. At first I cried...I mean I was just starting to get over PPD (postpartum depression) and started feeling like myself again, only to find out that I would have to do it all over again. But now that baby boy is here I could not imagine life without my little Buddy. He has, and continues to bring such joy to our lives.

Baby #3: Since I had trouble producing milk for Sena, I really wasn't expecting much in the breast feeding department, but I was sure going to try. Surprisingly I produced plenty of milk and my son was a great eater, but I had encountered a different type of obstacle: a 14-month old little girl running around and getting into everything she wasn't supposed to. I breast fed my son for the first month but could not find the time to sit and feed him with Sena running everywhere. That and I didn't want Sena to think that Kemi was more important to me than her because he took up all of my time. Truthfully I was having a hard time trying to find out how to divide my time between the two of them and was still trying to adjust to being a mom of two under 2 and an 11 year old.

Again I gave up to early. Again I failed.

For my next baby, yes we plan on having at least one more, I WILL succeed. This time I am more educated and know where to go for help, if I need it. I WILL talk to a lactation consultant before ever considering to stop. I WILL seek out support from other breast feeding momma's. I WILL give this next baby the best possible start, for as long as he/she wants to. I CAN and WILL do this!

For those that were successful in breast feeding their babies, what advise can you give to help me succeed with baby #4? What are your breast feeding stories, whether you failed or succeeded? Please only positive constructive comments. I know some of us mothers are very passionate about breast feeding and that it can be a touchy subject for some. I just want to hear other mother's stories and struggles to breast feed their children and how, if they did, overcome those obstacles.


Photobucket

{with permission barrowed from Linsay's Reviews & Giveaways}

No comments: